Gain insight to the dynamic movements within the Canadian Capital Markets. This weekly email details public, firm-to-firm and corporate reorganizations, at all professional levels.
Do you have news for Bill's Buzz? Send a note to Bill, now.
Archived Bill's Buzz
Santa gave Vlaad and Company a very special gift this year. Respected and seasoned Financial Services Recruiter Danielle Hughes has joined our team, greatly adding to our execution ability across the country, and strengthening areas of business we have developed over the years. Please feel free to contact her at email@example.com and welcome her aboard!
The Oil Patch is bubbling. In Calgary:
• Investment Banking Managing Director Blair Ward left Peters and Co. and went over to National Bank Financial;
• David Vetters left Macquarie Capital to re-join his former BMO colleagues;
• In Energy Research, Associate Brandon Friedt left Desjardins Securities for Cormark Securities.
There was a stocking full of moves at CIBC over the holidays:
• Benoit Lauze moved from Montreal, where he was Head of Quebec Investment Banking, and relocated to Toronto as the new Head of ECM;
• Reporting to Benoit is the new Head of ECM Syndication, Joe Kostandoff, replacing Scott Smith, who left the firm to join BMO Capital Markets;
• Tyler Swan was appointed Head of ECM Execution;
ONEX promoted to David Hirsch and Tawfiq Popatia to Managing Director.
Alignvest Management picked up CPPIB’s chief strategist Don Raymond.
Anna Slisarenko joins the Infrastructure team at Connor, Clark & Lunn Financial Group as an Associate. Anna was most recently an Associate Portfolio Manager, Private Markets, with Ontario Pension Board.
Steve Hall joined the Equity Income Team at Dynamic as a Portfolio Manager after leaving Cumberland.
RBC Capital Markets promoted the current Head of U.S. Investment Banking division, Blair Fleming, to Head of RBC Capital Markets in the U.S.
And in Toronto, RBC promoted Mike Bowick to the singular Head of Global Markets.
The “newish” firm Edgecrest Capital has added Mark Raguz as a Vice-President, Investment Banking from a Portfolio Manager role at Pinetree Capital and Research Associate Francois du Toit, from Hatch Associates.
Investment Banking Analyst, George Woo, has left Canaccord Genuity and kicked off the New Year at Borealis Infrastructure as an Analyst.
Associate Michael Spencer, formerly with Dundee Capital is now at Maxit Capital.
And former Fraser Mckenzie Associate, Reid McGregor, moved to MSCI as a Senior Associate.
Roman Tanner is no longer with GLJ Petroleum Consultants, as he accepted a role as Vice-President, Engineering for the Goldman Sachs Group in a new Calgary A&D arm of their Investment Banking Division.
There were several promotions at Desjardins Securities over the holidays as well:
• Luc Ménard to Senior Vice-President, Investments. New promotes reporting to him are:
• Claude Miron to Vice-President and Head of Private Equity, Québec;
• Denis Desjardins to Vice-President and Head of Private Debt, Western and Southern Québec;
• Michel Leclerc to Vice-President and Head of Private Debt, Eastern and Northern Québec.
Prakash Gowd jumped back into Investment Banking as Managing Director, Healthcare at Euro Pacific Canada. Prakash was previously in the role of Strategic Advisor, Life Sciences at MaRS Discovery District.
Former Stifel Nicolaus ECM Managing Director, Amy Freedman, is now Executive Vice-President at Kingsdale Shareholder Services.
Global Maxfin Capital grew its institutional team over the holidays:
• Joe MacKay is joining as a Senior Vice President, Equity Research, Special Situations Analyst having previously worked at Mackie Research Capital.
• Matt Ritzel is joining as a Senior Vice President, Institutional Sales. Matt was previously on the buy side as a Portfolio Manager at Waratah Advisors.
• Also joining is Jennifer Russell as Manager of Syndication. Jennifer was most recently a Syndication Specialist at Fidelity Clearing Canada.
Asad Zaman Khan left Kalex Valuations for a Manager Risk Audit role at RBC.
Thomas Tweddell has moved from the SACI Group to the Institutional Bond Desk at Laurentian Bank Securities in Montreal.
Ehsan Dana jumped the Georgia Strait moving from bcIMC Research & Risk Measurement in Victoria to Director, Corporate Development at MineSense Technologies in Vancouver.
Jason Bernstein is now Associate, Operations and Business Development at Broadview Capital Management, coming from Albourne in Hedge fund Operational Due Diligence.
And lastly, Paul Rajchgod, former Managing Director, Technology Investment Banker at Cantor Fitzgerald, joined Mackie Research Capital. Joining him there in the tech team is former Stifel Nicolaus Vice-President Ezra Chang.
© 2011 Vlaad and Company Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Bill's Buzz may not be copied or reproduced in full or in part
without the express written consent of Vlaad and Company Inc.