The Director, Growth Equity - Growth and Transition Capital (GTC), is responsible for all aspects of an investment cycle including due diligence, deal making, deal management, investee governance and reporting. He/she works in concert with a variety of our clients colleagues, mainly the GTC and Advisory Services teammates to ensure delivery of the appropriate activities and offerings. He/she may also be called upon to interact with and mentor/coach for future development GTC Subordinated Debt Directors and other staff for smaller (<$3M) equity investment.
Quality and pace of Investment: well-articulated alignments/submissions write-ups and valuable contribution to team reviews
- Source, structure, and recommend investments by formulating a proposal, confirming opportunity through due diligence and managing the deal closing.
- Represent the company on Board of Directors of Investee Companies, as a Nominee or an Observer.
- Create additional volume and capacity for smaller growth equity in GTC by coaching/mentoring other GTC staff with transactions involving a conversion of a GTC loan.
Provide post-closing value-add and plan exit from investment
- Pro-actively make value-adding proposals/recommendations and business introductions to Investee companies’ management and Boards coherent with the approved investment thesis and post-closing action plans
- Pro-actively engage investee management to establish Board and source independent external nominees to bring value-add to investee’s Board and maintain presence as observer to ensure smooth monitoring of Board governance, execution of the investment thesis and post-closing value-add activity.
- Provide advice and guide management of investee companies towards an efficient exit process to maximize return on investment while respecting the broader mandate.
Robust investment monitoring and portfolio risk management:
- Timely and thorough updating of Quarterly/Annual Account Updates
- Properly tracking identified investee company’s milestone/Post-closing Plan achievement
- Timely and transparent Amendments as required (including approval of Vetoes and other s/h related matters)
- Other administrative tasks and other business unit projects
Actively engage and collaborate in company wide approach:
- Internal: build collaborative relationships with business centers in partnership with colleagues in GTC and Financing. Foster productive relationships and collaborate across departments (Advisory Services, Venture Capital, Special Accounts/BRU, Portfolio Management) to improve efficiencies and better serve clients
- External: build relationships with entrepreneurs, associations, influencers, banks and co-investors to raise public awareness through proactive marketing and promotion of Private/Growth Equity offering as well as of GTC’s and Financing Services’ products.
Be engaged in the Growth Equity Organization Build-up and scale-up:
- Recommend new Growth/Private Equity policies, guidelines, procedures and evolve existing ones
- Pro-actively participate in related Growth/Private Equity business unit’s ad hoc projects
PREFERRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND/EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, MBA an asset
- Professional designation is an asset (CPA and/or CFA)
- 5+ years’ experience in corporate finance transactions with direct investment experience in equity, mezzanine and an excellent understanding/working knowledge of cashflow lending/senior banking facilities underwriting and leveraged finance transactions.
- 5+ years’ experience structuring, negotiating and closing minority and/or majority equity transactions in established, mature companies in leveraged or not leveraged context.
- 2-5+ years’ experience as a board member of private companies.
- Prior working experience in investment banking, a senior leadership role in a corporate setting such as CFO or other such relevant experience.
- Working knowledge of Fund of Funds investment, LP/GP structures, co-investment along GPs
- Successful track record in PE investments, exposure to a full cycle (from sourcing to full exit)
- Team player, positive contributor to a peer based approach in deal review and portfolio management
- Dynamic individual, driven by success
- Organized and creative individual interested in proposing Best Practices to an emerging team
- High Emotional Intelligence and ability to adapt to team members around a shared goal
- Ability to “think outside the box” when trying to resolve complex situations and deadlocks in negotiations
- Understands the nuances of working in a larger, complex mandate organization
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES
- Superior financial modelling and risk assessment skills
- Strong ability to collaborate, influence and build trust with GTC team, other internal groups within, clients and other stakeholders
- Good experience in business development
- Proven negotiating and deal making skills
- Ability to negotiate legal documents and manage legal counsel to achieve stated goals and objectives.
- Sound investment judgment
- Strong interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills
- Scrupulous attention to detail and accuracy
- Bilingualism is an asset